Welcome to Shepherd Primary School Reception. We are really looking forward to getting to know you and your child and helping them to continue their learning journey.
Learning in Reception for the Spring Term
- Phonics and Literacy: Throughout the year we will be reading a range of texts with the class to develop a love of great stories and interesting characters.
We will be reading a variety of fantasy stories, including Biscuit Bear, The Tiger who came to Tea, and a range of books by Julia Donaldson. The children will doing different activities to develop their reading and writing skills. They will be challenged to try to write their own endings or versions.
- Mathematics: This term in Maths, We will be continuing to develop the children’s grasp of number, this will include addition and subtraction, sequencing our day, estimating and measuring.
- Home Reading: We have decided that we are only going to change the children’s reading books once a week so that you have more opportunity to read them at home. However, the children will have 2 books each. Please can you ensure that you write in the reading record each time you read so that the children can work towards their Red Ted awards. Books will not be changed if there is no signature to say that the book has been read.
- Library – Each week the children will have the opportunity to choose a library book which they can take home and keep for the week. Our Library day is Tuesday.
- Family Reading Morning every Friday morning until 9.15am. Please stay and share a book or a game with your child. All siblings welcome.
Our weekly PE sessions will be in the hall or on the playground/field. Therefore, your child must have either a pair of named plimsolls or trainers kept in their PE bags along with full school PE kit at all times. . Your children will also have access to the outside classroom at all times therefore please ensure they have warm clothes and appropriate footwear every day.
To see the Reception Curriculum Newslettter, please click here