Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC)
Through their provision of SMSC, schools should:
- enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people;
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
British Value Statement
At Shepherd Primary School, we celebrate the cultural backgrounds of our school community, whilst also promoting and upholding British Values. Democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance are taught throughout the curriculum alongside our own school Core Values.