Spanish across the School
Pupils in years 3 to 6 benefit from the opportunity of learning Spanish. Through this, we feel that it is important that our language teaching gives them explicit language knowledge and strategies which can help them with future study of other languages.
All pupils are taught all four skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing and each of these skill areas are practised, consolidated, reinforced and assessed on a regular basis. There is a positive and innovative approach to target language teaching and we encourage our pupils to use the language for their own purposes. We want to develop our pupils’ independence and communication in languages by developing these core skills:
- Vocabulary and sequencing (including verbs)
- Knowledge of phonics
- Explicit use and understanding of grammar
During the year, in order to inspire pupils across the school to develop a curiosity and enthusiasm for learning Spanish, we have a special “Spanish Day” which all children in years 1 – 6 take part in.
The children are encouraged to dress in Spanish colours, and to take part in a carousel of activities through the day which could include:
- The Spanish teacher to carry out a range of fun Spanish Activities.
- Learn Spanish through a song or poem
- Taste Spanish cuisine
- Pupils will be taught the geography of Spain
- Pupils will learn about Spanish artists
- Pupils will take part in Spanish sports