Phonics is taught from Nursery through to Year Two and is a systematic approach to teaching letter recognition in order to successfully read. We are excited to be commencing a brand new phonics scheme (Little Wandle Letters and Sounds) this year to drive forward the children’s reading skills.
Every year we run a parent workshop for Phonics across the relevant key stages to provide parents with an insight to how we teach phonics at Shepherd.
What is Phonics?
Phonics is all about using:
- Skills for reading and spelling
- Knowledge of the alphabet
Learning phonics will help your child to become a good reader and writer.
3 quick things you can do a home to help with phonics
- Matching initial sounds to objects – what does banana start with?
- Letter hunts around Tesco (or any other supermarket!) – can we find this week's sounds?
- Play Robot I Spy – I spy with my little eye a b-u-s